Announcing Our New Construction Industry Technician Course!
In keeping with its mission to offer relevant and up-to-date construction courses to its members, Construction Exchange University is pleased to announce the addition of a new course debuting on October 25 – the Construction Industry Technician (CIT) course. The CIT course was developed by the National Association of Women in Construction Education Foundation (NEF) and at one time was only offered to NAWIC members. Today, the CIT course is available to all members of the construction industry.
This course presents an overview of the construction industry and covers a wide range of topics, including:
- Types of construction such as residential, commercial, civil
- Construction trade associations, professional societies, and institutes
- Forms of business ownership such as sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation
- Types of construction agreements and contracts such as negotiated, competitive bid, cost-plus
- Construction documents such as project manual, specification sections, types of drawings
- Construction process requirements such as pre-planning, permitting, project closeout
- Construction insurance and bonding
The target participant for the CIT course is someone who:
- is brand new to the construction industry and requires an overall introduction to the industry
- has limited general knowledge of the industry
- has a support staff role and requires deeper knowledge for career advancement
- is a technician or tradesperson with aspirations to advance to a field or office management position
- has a desire to learn as much as possible about the construction industry
Each CIT course participant will receive a textbook to be used during the course and which can be kept for future reference. Upon completion of the course, participants will have the option to take the NEF CIT examination. There is a separate fee that must be paid directly to NEF in order to take the exam. When the participant successfully completes the exam, NEF will issue a Construction Industry Technician Certification. This certification acknowledges the accomplishment of attaining a higher professional level in the construction industry.
The CIT course will meet once per week for four weeks, every Wednesday from 6:00-8:30 pm. The course instructor is Cheryl McBride, who also teaches our Introduction to Blueprint Reading and Introduction to Quantity Takeoff & Estimating courses.